~Living life my way, one day at a time~

~I wear my truth like a suit of armour; I will not expose myself in the fig leaves of denial ~

~ ♥ if you only knew what's in my soul.....you'd never feel such doubt ♥ ~

~**~Welcome to My World~**~

Saturday, January 15, 2011

~Where do we draw the line?~

~Tanner and I, waiting for Bennett-Chadlen, our Trisomy 13/Patau Syndrome blessing~
http://healthland.time.com/2011/01/13/can-a-new-blood-test-make-babies-with-down-syndrome-disappear/

 **Warning, this post contains sensitive content matter.**

My first post of 2011 is going to involve a controversial subject, but since this is my blog, my place to express thoughts and feelings----here goes.
"What if new tests for Down syndrome could one day mean no more affected babies are born? Is that cause to celebrate medical advances or reason to worry we are callously weeding out the less-than-perfect in our midst?"~(taken from the above link)
Where do we draw the line?  Let's not pretend that we don't understand the concept of "prevention".  This does of course require testing the pregnant woman for a 'flawed' fetus, and then reach up inside of her uterus and take away the life of the unborn baby.  Yes----this means remove the innocent life growing inside of her.

I would never choose to end the life of a fetus 'no-matter-what'----but at the same time I won't judge what someone else chooses to do.  If a woman feels comfortable with her decision ----then hey, who are we to judge?  Do what you feel necessary and I hope your choice doesn't negatively affect anyone else in your life.  I know it's a very difficult personal choice, and I mean no personal emotional suffering on anyone. 

I won't judge your choice, and I ask politely that you don't judge mine.  We all come from different walks of life, have our own burdens to bear, and depending upon where we live, our marital status, or what our income is---we just may not be able to care for a disabled child in the manner in which we wish that we could.  I will never judge anyone for what they have to do for their own personal situation. 

We are all equally entitled to our opinions, so let's exercise the freedom of expression without harm or malicious intent.  My heart is genuinely with those of you that have had to make your own heartbreaking choices.  (((HUGS)))

That said------

Is it really the woman's body, therefore it's her choice?


My personal view is to think of it as the 'unborn baby's body' and the mother is deciding this child's fate as she struggles with the implications of raising a disabled child.  This is why I would never choose when it is someone else's time to die.  It's not 'my' body, therefore it's not my life to end. 

Would I want to see someone suffer?  No, I would not, but who am I to assume what someone else's sufferance may be? 

Can we really predict what the future holds for any of us?  Is living a life with disabilities truly a state of suffering?  In some cases, it may very well be, but each case has to be examined prior to being able to make this assumption.

Does disability always equal endless pain, or illness? 

It's all a matter of personal perspective which really is unimaginable without experiencing it firsthand for yourself.

Some would say that inflicting surgery on someone is not ethical as it may cause them sufferance.  In an emergency situation, what would you do? 

Others willingly inflict surgery upon themselves in their journey towards "physical perfection", ie plastic surgery.  See, it truly is a personal choice what you are willing to put yourself through.  Childbirth was excruciating, but I chose to do it again and again.  Some may tell me I'm crazy---and yes, perhaps I am!  I made the choice to procreate and take full responsibility for my actions.  I went into motherhood knowing that sometimes a pregnancy does not result in a full-term, viable, living-breathing, perfectly, healthy child.

Some of us are born disabled.  Some of us are born 'normal' and end our lives with a disability.  Who can ever really determine how anything is going to turn out?

I know this may sound judgmental, but I'm just merely stating facts here.

This final statement says it all:     
Skotko worries that doctors won't be able to adequately counsel a pregnant woman about the reality of having a baby with Down syndrome. In 2004, a Special Olympics study found that 81% of medical students reported they get no medical education about people with intellectual disabilities.

“If that's the case and we have a new prenatal test coming around the corner,” he says, “we'll have a greater number of women being faced with a decision about which they don't have accurate and unbiased information.

“Will babies with Down syndrome slowly disappear, then babies with trisomy 18 and trisomy 13?” asks Skotko. “As a clinician, I raise it as an open question. It's a question of which forms of life are valuable.”

Should IQ really determine your value in society?

I don't know about you, but I happen to know a lot of people that just should not be allowed to breed offspring.  If we're looking into cost-effective ways of releasing the financial burden off of government programs, health insurance, and tax-payers----perhaps we should begin snuffing out the criminals that don't deserve freedom.  If they can't be trusted to walk around freely in the public, should we really pay to keep them alive?  Why is it anymore unethical to take the life of a criminal?

What about drug addicts, alcoholics, and others that continuously contribute to our already bursting at the seams population?  Should they be allowed to continue bringing life into this world when they so clearly are not capable of looking after themselves, let alone an innocent child?  Rehabilitation exists.  There are ways to end addictions and make positive life changes.  There are people in this world that make it their life's goal to help these sorts of people.....many of whom just do NOT WANT help.  Why is it unethical to sterilize these unsavoury characters?

I personally hold someone very near and dear to my heart, since early childhood when we first met.  I am so glad that his mother did not receive these prenatal tests because I just cannot bear the thought of never having him in my life.  Prenatal testing and ultrasound scans may have detected his anomalies, and physicians may have assumed a serious lack of mental development, along with the physical birth defects.  How wrong they would have been.  He's awesome just the way he is!

If it comes down to saving a buck......let's start with the undeserving amongst us and leave the babies alone.

I truly cannot imagine my life without having Bennett-Chadlen.  He may not have survived long on this Earth, but the impact of his life shall be experienced and remembered for generations to come.


Gchi-miigwech to our Creator for the gift of this precious, wee boy.  Gzaagin Nimkee xxoo

PS ~ If anyone has been unable to post their comment, it was probably MY fault.  I keep tweaking the wording as my intention is NOT TO INSULT someone that made the opposite choice that we did. I keep re-reading it and really hope that I don't cause anyone else further heartache and pain----I merely just want to state WHY SOME OF US CHOOSE LIFE! 

For me, it is not a religious matter. I am not a religious person. I am spiritual, and I believe that I have a healthy respect for life. I support pain-free, end-of-life-care for all, but will not do something to hasten the process...nor would I do anything to prolong suffering. I had to make the heartbreaking choice to take my own son off of life-support and I held him as he passed.

I love him unconditionally for all of his days, and I don't regret that choice to allow him to decide when his final time had come.

I have had personal contact with families that made heartbreaking choices for medical termination at the advice of their physicians, only to find out later that their babies may have had a chance after-all. I try to help them through their feelings to the best of my ability because their sorrow and resentment affects others around them.


A very good friend of mine lost her daughter at 6 months to SIDS, and just recently gave birth to a baby boy with Down Syndrome. He is adorable and is doing so much better developmentally than anyone would have ever predicted. He has FULL-Trisomy 21.....so the fact that he is achieving so much is just amazing! Her love for him is beyond the realm of description in mere words alone, as we all feel for our own children.

I mean really.....would any mother ever wish they'd never given birth to their child? Short of one of my children becoming a horribly vicious serial killer, I can't imagine ever having any regrets!

My eldest son was struck by a truck at the age of 4, I raised him with issues due to his permanent brain injury. The fact he survived is a miracle in itself!

My 2 other boys have a rare blood disease and Tristan had to have his spleen and gallbladder removed at the age of 5. He did suffer with painful gallbladder attacks, and his surgery was rough as he reacted poorly to the anesthetic and spent 4 days/3 nights in the ICU. I wasn't able to stay with him, but did spend the next 7 days rooming-in until he was able to go home. He was a trooper despite the 8 hr drive with all those punctures and stitches.

My 3rd son was premature, stillborn....so I really have no idea what, if anything, he felt as he passed away. Nimkee's passing wasn't as quick as we had prepared for, but he was in our arms as we loving spoke and sang to him.....his dad played his guitar---I suppose it was as peaceful as it could have been under the circumstances.

Let's not be naive. We are all going to die. When and how are always unknown. I can't feel anymore guilty about birthing Bennett-Chadlen only to watch him pass, as I do about giving birth to 5 other children that will also pass away at some time. None of us are immortal.



I believe that we all make the choices that we deem right for us.

3 comments:

  1. very Well said Mel. I fully agree. Leave the babies alone and focus on the scum of life. Babies are innocent criminals that chose to hurt others obviously arent. I could go off on this in so many ways. THanks for speaking up and saying what others wont. LOVE YOU

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and this very sensitive topic, Mel! It really is a touchy one for many. Thank you for your openness and your honesty. Very thought provoking post, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ~Thanks for your understanding and compassion ladies! I read this post a few days ago and it's been haunting my mind, so I decided that perhaps a blogging exorcism was in order.

    I really just have so much compassion and empathy for the women that heard the same words as I did---and went along with the consensus which said....."your child is incompatible with life, and we recommend termination immediately".

    I was offered termination based upon the results of the maternal serum testing which many of us know is NOT an ACCURATE indication of our unborn's chance of a chromosomal abnormality or birth defect. It just gives us our "chances".....much like betting on a horse at the race track!

    I was offered immediate support if I chose to terminate. I wasn't offered any information about survivors---in fact I was told there aren't any! What a crock of PURE & UTTER CRAP!

    I merely strive to share BOTH sides, and what a person chooses after that is their decision.....one I hope they can live with without regrets.

    Educated decisions are my main concern. Had I not been a resourceful woman with access to the internet to do some searching of my own, I would not have been as prepared as I was for Bennett-Chadlen's birth, nor would I have met all of the amazing and wonderful people all over the world that also have babies that were born with a variety of complex issues.

    With a lot of guidance, love, and support.....we can all prosper and heal together.

    There is strength in numbers. Let's allow peace to draw us together and make it our main goal for all.

    Gchi-miigwech xxoo

    ReplyDelete